Projects undertaken by McCue are often multi- million-pound contracts and increasingly robust reporting mechanisms are required to meet clients’ needs in demonstrating sustainability. Larger projects with BREEAM requirements led to the implementation of SustainIQ, but the company now uses the technology across all sites, improving transparency and increasing competitiveness.
How is SustainIQ being used?
- For each new project, a bespoke sustainability plan is developed to reduce the environmental impact and encourage innovation at all stages
- This is shared with the supply chain and goals are uploaded to SustainIQ so progress can be tracked against reductions in water, waste, CO2 and energy
- Subcontractors and suppliers use SustainIQ to record their inputs and outputs and ensure compliance with the plan and the tender requirement
- Progress on projects is measured and monitored against McCue’s four pillars: People, Place, Planet and Procurement
- All site waste and energy are recorded to create live information and a real-time carbon footprint for the project
- On site biodiversity activities are recorded and any remaining carbon impacts are offset
- Supplier standards are set in SustainIQ and monitored to reduce risk and increase transparency
What are the main benefits of using SustainIQ for this project?
Although McCue started using SustainIQ to demonstrate compliance with BREEAM requirements on larger projects, the company quickly saw the benefits and now uses it on all sites and projects. This approach has helped the company to ‘punch above its weight’ to win larger contracts. In 2021, 7/10 PQQs specifically asked for McCue’s environmental strategy on minimising waste to site.
- 96% of PQQs and Tenders in 2020 required information that would have been difficult and time-consuming to collate without SustainIQ
- Real-time demonstration of compliance and risk management
- The transparency SustainIQ brings to operations helps create continuous improvement
- Ability to meet increasingly robust reporting requirements for major contracts and to win previously unattainable tenders
Key performance statistics from McCue’s use of SustainIQ:
98.7% of construction stage waste has been diverted from landfill
67% of subcontractors appointed to the project are located within 30 miles radius of the project having a significant positive socio-economic impact through procurement
82% of suppliers orders were procured within 30 miles radius of the project having a significant positive socio-economic impact through procurement
Sustainability is a key driver in McCue’s business and each project we deliver has to have a minimal impact on the environment. Working in and with key London Councils on multi-million-pound contracts in the Greater London area, we have seen how important it is to meet our clients’ sustainability goals. SustainIQ allows us to measure, monitor and report on the social, economic and environmental impact of our projects and ensure clients achieve those vital goals.
Gary Purdy, Managing Director, McCue