Gilbert-Ash Limited is an innovative company with a unique approach to construction, fit-out and refurbishment. With 70+ years’ experience, the company’s integrated approach is tailored for each build. One of SustainIQ’s first customers, Gilbert-Ash uses the platform on all its construction projects across the UK.
How is SustainIQ being used?
The Site Manager on this project used the Environmental Pillar to:
- Record all waste being transferred off site
- Ensure compliance with applicable waste management legislation
- Record all energy and water usage
- Produce a biodiversity log of all site initiatives
The Contracts Manager used it to:
- Report on site impacts during progress meetings
The IMS Department used it to:
- Track site impacts to ensure compliance with ISO 9001 and ISO14001
The Site Team used the Community pillar to:
- Assist with the Considerate Constructors Scheme audits
The QS Department used the Procurement pillar to:
- Record and track use of all FSC/PEFC timber, recycled materials and those made from recycled content
The Buying Team used it to:
- Calculate the % of the supply chain located within a 30-mile radius of the project
The HR Department used the People pillar to:
- Report on apprenticeships in line with social value requirements in the contract
What are the main benefits of using SustainIQ for this project?
Given the eco-credentials of this project and the fact that it had to meet a BREEAM Excellent rating, SustainIQ provided a range of benefits, such as:
- Allowing the Site Team to keep track of their sustainable performance in real time
- Increased accuracy of information as it was recorded at source
- Readily available information for Considerate Constructors Scheme site visits
- Simplified production of progress reports for client and GA Board
- Time saved on data collection amounting to c.156 hours over the course of the project
- Integrated data across all pillars providing a comprehensive picture of the project’s impact
Some key sustainability performance statistics from the project
75% less time is spent compiling data each week – reduced from 2 hrs to just 30 mins, saving a whole month over the course of this project
61% of suppliers orders were procured within 30 miles radius of the project having a significant positive socio-economic impact through procurement
99% of waste on the project was diverted from landfill
We are evolving our business model to build a resource-efficient and sustainable company and SustainIQ is a key collaborator with us on that journey. This was a challenging, but highly rewarding project, made simpler by streamlined, real-time data recording and reporting. SustainIQ enabled us, at the touch of a button, to demonstrate the green credentials of Europe’s only Eco-Mosque and provided vital intelligence at every stage.
Ciaran Begley, Project Director, Gilbert-Ash